Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize Guidelines
- Any poet who meets one of the below criteria on the date of the application deadline, in any given year, is eligible:
- U.S. Citizen
- resident of the United States for the ten-year period prior to the submission deadline, or
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), Legal Permanent Status (LPS), or any subsequent categories designated by the U.S. authorities as conferring similar enhanced status upon non-citizens living in the United States.
- U.S. Citizen
Please note: By law the Academy of American Poets must report cash prizes awarded to individuals to the Internal Revenue Service. If individuals have a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), the individual will receive a 1099. If the individual does not have an SSN or ITIN, the individual will receive a 1042 and could be subject to a withholding of a percentage of the cash prize.
- Books must be submitted in the year after their publication, which means that books published in 2017 may not be submitted for consideration until 2018.
- The 2018 contest is open to any book of original poetry, in English, published in the United States during 2017 in a standard edition (48 pages or more) by a living poet.
- Self-published books are not eligible.
- Translations and new editions of previously published books are not eligible.
- Publishers may submit as many titles as they wish. The publisher should send four copies of each book to the Academy of American Poets.
- A $75 entry fee and entry form signifying the publisher’s acceptance of these guidelines is required for each title submitted. The winner will be announced in September.
- The Academy of American Poets agrees to purchase approximately two hundred copies of the winning book for distribution to its members. The Academy may purchase additional copies of the book for its own use, but not for resale. No royalties will be paid to the author on the copies purchased by the Academy. The publisher agrees to sell to the Academy the number of copies requested at a standard discount.
- The decisions of the Academy of American Poets as to eligibility are final. Books will not be returned.
Publishers please send all entry materials at once, in the same envelope to:
The Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize
The Academy of American Poets
75 Maiden Lane, Suite 901
New York, NY 10038
For more information, please contact: