The Academy of American Poets
Reports to: Associate Director/Director of Content
The Content Assistant helps produce the Poem-a-Day series, content for the award-winning website Poets.org, conducts outreach to content partners, assists with social media, and other related projects. This is a full-time, one-year position, with the possibility of becoming a permanent position, to be determined at the end of November 2018. Poem-a-Day is the original and only daily digital poetry series featuring over 200 new, previously unpublished poems by today’s talented poets each year. The Academy of American Poets, founded in 1934 and based in New York City, is the nation’s largest member-supported nonprofit organization championing poets and poetry.
- Help ensure that all content related to the Poem-a-Day series is accurate, visually compelling, and adheres to the organization’s standards of excellence, editorial style, and guidelines.
- Solicit and coordinate related content for Poem-a-Day, including bios, statements, and audio, from featured poets.
- Create and schedule all outgoing Poem-a-Day content on social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Create brand-aligned social media assets, as needed.
- Assist with producing final Poem-a-Day content on Poets.org, email platform Campaign Monitor, and for syndication partners.
- Factcheck, copyedit, and edit related multimedia.
- Contribute to the curation of classic poems for Poem-a-Day and poems for Poets.org.
- Assist with managing permissions for poems and other content.
- Maintain the subscription lists and customer service for Poem-a-Day series.
- Assist with the weekly Jobs for Poets series.
- Assist with the production of other content on Poets.org, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BFA/BA degree (or equivalent); thorough knowledge of contemporary poetry essential.
- Exceptional attention to detail. Impeccable writing, editing, and organizational skills.
- Professional experience factchecking, copyediting, proofreading (Chicago and AP, preferred).
- Passionate about and experience using social media as promotional and marketing tool (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).
- Experience working with content management systems; Drupal experience a plus.
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Adobe Creative Suite, and audio-editing a plus.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Experience working in a deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Endless creativity and motivation.
- Professional, positive attitude.
The Academy of American Poets is proud to promote equal employment opportunities without discrimination based on age, race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resumé to Mary Gannon, Associate Director/Director of Content: [email protected].