Assistant Content Producer
Academy of American Poets
The Academy of American Poets, the nonprofit organization that produces Poets.org, National Poetry Month, Poem-a-Day and American Poets magazine among other programs, seeks an Assistant Content Producer.This full-time position, which is based in New York City, reports to the Associate Director/Director of Content and is responsible for assisting in the production and maintenance of content for the Academy of American Poets, primarily on the award-winning website Poets.org, as well as in American Poets magazine, and through electronic newsletters and social media platforms. The Academy of American Poets, founded in 1934, is the nation’s largest member-supported nonprofit organization championing poets and poetry.
- Collaborate with the editorial team and participate in cross-organizational efforts on the planning and development of new features and content.
- Write and produce content that supports the organization's mission and messages, and serves its audiences: readers of poetry, educators, poets, and the organization’s members.
- Write, edit, and produce SEO-friendly, engaging content for Poets.org on a regular basis, including multimedia, biographies, articles, column posts, and special features, as assigned. Leverage and produce existing content on Poets.org, enewsletters, social media, and print.
- Help ensure that all content is accurate, visually compelling, and adheres to the organization’s standards of excellence, editorial style, and guidelines.
- Update and refresh pages as needed, ensuring that all content on Poets.org is up-to-date.
- Contribute to the execution of various enewsletters, as assigned.
- Produce digital assets for Poets.org, enewsletters, and social media.
- Contribute to the distribution of content via social media platforms.
- Monitor analytics and user engagement, and social media feedback, contributing to monthly metrics reports, as needed; help to grow overall audience.
- Manage the subscription lists for select newsletters.
- Manage permissions for content on Poets.org and in American Poets.
- Manage the maintenance and organization of the physical and digital Archive.
- Provide costumer service to enewsletter subscribers and Poets.org users.
- Coordinate and assist other program staff with online and electronic content needs.
- Provide administrative support to the editorial team, as needed.
- Minimum BFA/BA degree (or equivalent), MFA preferred; thorough knowledge of contemporary poetry essential.
- 1-3 years professional experience in producing web content.
- Impeccable writing and editing skills.
- Strong image-editing experience, knowledge of Photoshop, Adobe Creative Suite.
- Solid understanding of the basics of online publishing best practices and SEO.
- Facility working with social media platforms, especially Facebook and Twitter.
- Experience working with content management systems; Drupal experience a plus.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multitask and prioritize time and workload.
- Experience working in a deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Endless creativity and motivation.
- Professional, positive attitude.
The Academy of American Poets does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of religion, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested candidates may email cover letters and resumés to Mary Gannon, Associate Director/Director of Content, Academy of American Poets, at email@example.com. No calls please.