James Laughlin Award Guidelines
• The James Laughlin Award is given to honor a second full-length book of original poetry, in English, by a living citizen of the United States, forthcoming in the next calendar year.
• To be eligible, a book must be under contract with a United States publisher and scheduled to be published between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2016. Winning books must be published by December 31, 2016.
•Please Note: In this transitional year, we are unable to consider books published prior to January 1, 2016. Our hope is that by aligning the prize to the forthcoming calendar year, the winning poet and their publisher will benefit from having enough time to make proper plans for publicity and printing of the book.
• To be eligible, an author must have published one book of poetry in a standard edition (48 pages or more). The publication of chapbooks (less than 48 pages) does not disqualify an author.
• Entries must be at least 48 pages total (suggested length: 48 to 100 pages).
• Entries must be submitted in manuscript form (or page proofs) so that the jury can compare them without considering the books’ design. Books and bound galleys will not be accepted.
• Publishers must send four copies of each manuscript. The author’s name should not be included in running heads or appear on any page, so that the manuscript can be read blind. Acknowledgements may be included.
• Submissions are welcome from small presses, university presses, and trade publishers that have previously published at least four volumes of poetry.
• Translations and new editions of previously published books are not eligible.
• Each entry must be accompanied by a completed entry form and postmarked between January 1 and May 15, 2015. The winner will be announced in September.
• The Academy of American Poets agrees to purchase approximately 1,000 copies of the winning book for distribution to its members. The Academy may purchase additional copies of the book for its own use, but not for resale. No royalties will be paid to the author on the copies purchased by the Academy. The publisher agrees to sell to the Academy the number of copies requested at a standard discount.
• The publisher agrees to announce and publish the winning book as the Academy of American Poets James Laughlin Award Winner. The publisher also agrees to include a seal on all of the books, identifying the winning book as such. The Academy will provide the publisher with the seal design as an electronic file. Any subsequent reprintings of the book must comply with the aforementioned stipulations.
• The decisions of the Academy of American Poets regarding eligibility are final. Manuscripts will not be returned.
Send four copies of each manuscript (no bound books or galleys, please) to:
The James Laughlin Award
The Academy of American Poets
75 Maiden Lane, Suite 901
New York, New York 10038
For more information, please contact:
(212) 274-0343, ext. 13