“COUPLET”—A Quarterly Poetry Reading Series & Social Fall 2018 Edition: FRIDAY, September 14th, 2018 (The Seven Year Anniversary)
“COUPLET”—A Quarterly Poetry Reading Series & Social
Fall 2018 Edition: FRIDAY, September 14th, 2018 (The Seven Year Anniversary)
Produced, curated and hosted by poet Leah Umansky, since 2011, COUPLET is a quarterly reading series held in the East Village featuring both emerging and established poets. Every event features music & an after-party.
Readers include: CAMERON ALEXANDER LAWRENCE, DEVON WALKER-FIGUEROA, TINA CANE, DONNA MASINI, SANDRA SIMONDS, AND TERRANCE HAYES
@couplet_Series (Twitter) #CoupletNYC
#CoupletNYC #poetry #NYC
[PLEASE NOTE our new location and new time:
THE RED ROOM, 85 E 4th St, New York, NY 10003
*TOP FLOOR above KGB Bar*
21 & Over / 2 drink minimum]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This edition’s featured poets:
1. CAMERON ALEXANDER LAWRENCE'S work has recently appeared in The Florida Review, West Branch, The Shallow Ends, Image, TYPO, Forklift Ohio, Ruminate, Tinderbox Poetry Journal, and elsewhere. He lives in Decatur, GA, with his wife and four children.
2. TINA CANE was born and raised in New York City. She is the founder/director of Writers-in-the-Schools, RI, and the author of Dear Elena: Letters for Elena Ferrante, Once More With Feeling (Veliz Books), and Body of Work (forthcoming from Veliz Books). In 2016, she received the Merit Fellowship Award from the Rhode island State Council on the Arts. Tina currently serves are Poet Laureate of Rhode Island, where she lives with her husband and their three children.
3. DEVON WALKER-FIGUEROA, a graduate of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, is Co-Founding Editor of Horsethief Books. Her poems have appeared or are forthcoming in the New England Review, American Poetry Review, Narrative, and Tin House’s The Open Bar, among others! She is the recipient of the 2018 New England Review Emerging Writer Award.
4. SANDRA SIMONDS is the author of six books of poetry: Orlando, (Wave Books 2018), Further Problems with Pleasure, winner of the 2015 Akron Poetry Prize from the University of Akron Press, among others. Her poems have been published in the New York Times, the Best American Poetry 2015 and 2014 and have appeared in many literary journals, including Poetry, the American Poetry Review, the Chicago Review, and elsewhere. She lives in Tallahassee, Florida and is an Associate professor of English and Humanities at Thomas University in Thomasville, Georgia.
5. TERRANCE HAYES is the author of six poetry collections, including American Sonnets for My Past And Future Assassin, How to Be Drawn, which received the 2016 NAACP Image Award for Poetry and Lighthead, which won the 2010 National Book Award for Poetry. Other honors include a Whiting Writers Award, a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship, a United States Artists Zell Fellowship, a Guggenheim Fellowship, and a MacArthur Fellowship. To Float In The Space Between: Drawings and Essays in Conversation with Etheridge Knight is out now.
6. DONNA MASINI is the author of three books of poems, including the new -4:30 Movie (W.W. Norton and Co., 2018). Her work has appeared in journals and anthologies including Poetry, Ploughshares, American Poetry Review, The Paris Review, Pushcart Prize, Brooklyn Poets, Best American Poetry 2015. A recipient of a National Endowment for the Arts and New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowships, she is a Professor of English at Hunter College where she teaches in the MFA Creative Writing program.
Friday, September 14, 2018 - 6:00pm