Raiziss/de Palchi Fellowship Guidelines
- Any poet who meets one of the below criteria on the date of the application deadline, in any given year, is eligible to apply:
- U.S. Citizen
- resident of the United States for the ten-year period prior to the submission deadline, or
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), Legal Permanent Status (LPS), or any subsequent categories designated by the U.S. authorities as conferring similar enhanced status upon non-citizens living in the United States.
- U.S. Citizen
Please note: By law the Academy of American Poets must report cash prizes awarded to individuals to the Internal Revenue Service. If individuals have a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), the individual will receive a 1099. If the individual does not have an SSN or ITIN, the individual will receive a 1042 and could be subject to a withholding of a percentage of the cash prize.
- The work-in-progress must be a translation into English of twentieth-century Italian poetry. The original poems may be by a single author or by various authors. The fellowship, however, is an individual award. Collaborations are not eligible.
- To apply, a translator must submit four copies of a proposal describing the work-in-progress, the applicant's credentials, and how the fellowship money will be used. Applications should be no longer than five pages double-spaced.
- The applicant must verify that he or she has obtained permission to translate the poems specified in his or her application or that the poems are in the public domain.
- The translator must submit 15 sample pages of the translation in progress as well as copies of the original poems.
- Each application must be accompanied by a completed entry form signifying the applicant's acceptance of these guidelines.
- Applications must be postmarked between September 15, 2017 and February 15, 2018. Applications will not be returned.
- The Academy will award the winning translator a fellowship of $25,000. The fellowship winner will also receive a five-week residency at the American Academy in Rome.
- The fellowship recipient must submit a report at the end of the fellowship year, describing his or her progress, as well as a copy of the completed work or revised manuscript.
- If published, the work-in-progress must include an acknowledgement of The Academy of American Poets and the Raiziss/de Palchi Translation Awards Fund of The New York Community Trust.
- The decisions of the Academy of American Poets as to eligibility are final.
- The Academy reserves the right not to award the fellowship in any given year.
Translators please send four copies of all materials to:
The Raiziss/de Palchi Book Prize
Academy of American Poets
75 Maiden Lane, Suite 901
New York, NY 10038
For more information, please contact: