The second volume in our incredibly popular Audio Archive Anthology series contains twenty-two poems read by some of contemporary poetry's most influential authors. As on Volume I, every track on this CD has been excerpted from the full-length readings that make up the Academy's Audio Archive catalog. The Academy has been sponsoring public readings since 1963, and the recordings of these forty-plus years have yielded some stunning poetic treasures.
The authors who read their work on Volume II are: Margaret Atwood, Joseph Brodsky, Linda Gregg, Marilyn Hacker, Robert Hayden, June Jordan, Kenneth Koch, Yusef Komunyakaa, Maxine Kumin, Audre Lorde, Heather McHugh, James Merrill, W. S. Merwin, Sharon Olds, George Oppen, Czeslaw Milosz, William Stafford, Mark Strand, May Swenson, James Tate, Mona Van Duyn, and Rosanna Warren. The poems selected for the Anthology Archive series range from the humorous to the heartbreaking, and each has been carefully remastered to bring out the nuances of the authors' voices without changing the atmospheric tone of the original recordings.
Length: 61 min.
- Rosanna Warren (b. 1953): The Cormorant, 1988
- Heather McHugh (b. 1948): What He Thought, 1992
- Yusef Komunyakaa (b. 1947): My Fathers Love Letters, 1993
- James Tate (b. 1943): Dream On, 1996
- Sharon Olds(b. 1942): Last Words, 1993
- Marilyn Hacker (b. 1942): Cleis, 1992
- Linda Gregg (b. 1942): Chosen by the Lion, 1991
- Joseph Brodsky (1940 1996): Lullaby of Cape Cod, Part I (English translation ready by Mark Strand, Russian original read by Brodsky), 1980
- Margaret Atwood (b. 1939): From an Italian Postcard Factory, 1978
- June Jordan (1936 2002): Poem about Intelligence for My Brothers and Sisters, 1992
- Mark Strand (b. 1934): From a Litany, 1978
- Audre Lorde (1934 1992): Harriet, 1977
- W. S. Merwin (b. 1927): The Child, 1966
- James Merrill (1926 1995): The Smile, 1992
- Maxine Kumin (b. 1925): The Hermit Wakes to Bird Sounds, 1979
- Kenneth Koch (1925 2002): One Train May Hide Another, 1994
- Mona Van Duyn (1921 2004 ): Endings, 1991
- William Stafford (1914 1993): A Walk in the Country, 1970
- Robert Hayden (1913 1980): The Broken Dark, 1976
- May Swenson (1913 1989): I Look at My Hand, 1985
- Czeslaw Milosz (1911 2004): Counsels, 1974
- George Oppen (1908 1984): A Narrative, 1964
Earth Took of Earth CD
Explore a selection of historical poems, selected by Jorie Graham and read by John Ashbery, Galway Kinnell, Sharon Olds, and many more.
| Order Now