This item is not currently available for purchase. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This collection of historic recordings spans 40 years of public readings sponsored by The Academy of American Poets. The recordings--poets reading their own work--range from the amusing to the haunting, and from the abstract to the quotidian. It is our hope that this assemblage of work begins to resemble in voice the breadth of contemporary American poetry.
This incredible disc contains poems by: John Ashbery, W.H. Auden, John Berryman, Kamau Braithwaite, Gwendolyn Brooks, Amy Clampitt, Lucille Clifton, Robert Creeley, Rita Dove, Carolyn Forché, Louise Glück, Stanley Kunitz, Li-Young Lee, Denise Levertov, Philip Levine, Robert Lowell, Adrienne Rich, Derek Walcott, Richard Wilbur, Charles Wright, and James Wright. Each poem was carefully selected from the Poetry Audio Archive catalog, and many include the wonderful introductions their authors gave.
Length: 47 min.
- Li-Young Lee (b 1957): Nothing But Paradise, 1988
- Rita Dove (b. 1952): The Other Side of the House, 1988
- Carolyn Forché (b. 1950): Introduction to "The Island"
- Carolyn Forché: The Island, 1978
- Louise Glück (b. 1943): Matins, 1992
- Lucille Clifton (b. 1936): what the mirror said, 1983
- Charles Wright (b. 1935): Introduction to It’s Turtles All the Way Down
- Charles Wright: It’s Turtles All the Way Down, 1997
- Kamau Braithwaite (b. 1930): from The Rwanda Poems, 1994
- Derek Walcott (b. 1930): Parang, 1964
- Adrienne Rich (b. 1929): For an Anniversary, 1997
- Philip Levine (b. 1928): Introduction to "My Father With Cigarette Twelve Years Before the Nazis Could Break His Heart," 1991
- Philip Levine: My Father With Cigarette Twelve Years Before the Nazis Could Break His Heart
- James Wright (1927–1980): How Spring Arrives, 1978
- John Ashbery (b. 1927): Getting Back In, 1994
- Robert Creeley (b. 1926): The Epic Expands, 1964
- Denise Levertov (1923–1997): The Turning, 1964
- Richard Wilbur (b. 1921): The Writer, 1989
- Amy Clampitt (1920–1994): Introduction to "The Kingfisher"
- Amy Clampitt: The Kingfisher, 1987
- Robert Lowell (1917–1977): The Public Garden, 1963
- Gwendolyn Brooks (1917–2000): Introduction to "We Real Cool"
- Gwendolyn Brooks: We Real Cool, 1983
- John Berryman: (1914–1972) Introduction to The Dream Songs
- John Berryman: Dream Song #1, 1963
- W.H. Auden (1907–1973): The Sabbath, 1964
- Stanley Kunitz (1905–2006): The Layers, 1991
Earth Took of Earth CD
Explore a selection of historical poems, selected by Jorie Graham and read by John Ashbery, Galway Kinnell, Sharon Olds, and many more.
| Order Now