This item is not currently available for purchase. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1992. Introduced by Stephen Yenser.
Library Journal calls Yenser's introduction to this reading "brilliant," and praises this extraordinary assemblage of poems from A Scattering of Salts, published shortly after Merrill's death.
"Particularly striking," Library Journal notes, "is 'To a Butterfly,' which [Merrill] describes as 'looking forward to the soul's freedom.'" He also reads from "The Book of Ephraim," including a passage in the voice of Maya Deren. This is a perfect record of Merrill's wit, brilliance, and charm.
Length: 58 min.
1. Introduction by Stephen Yenser
2. Mr. Merrill remembers Marie Bullock
3. Introduction to "Mirror"
5. Introduction to three poems
6. The Smile
7. Annie Hill's Grave
8. To a Butterfly
9. Introduction to The Book of Ephraim
10. from [Dramatis Personae (a partial list)]
11. [Maya in the city has a dream:]
12. [Rewrite P. It has to be the section]
13. Introduction to "On the Block"
14. Lamp, Terra-cotta Base, U.S., c. 1925
15. Mantle Clock, Imitation Sieve
16. Introduction to "Alessio and the Zinneas"
17. Alessio and the Zinneas
18. More Or Less
19. Introduction to "Volcanic Holiday"
20. Volcanic Holiday
21. Introduction to "Snow Jobs"
22. Snow Jobs
23. A Downward Look
24. Introduction to "Prose of Departure"
25. Imagining it
28. Another Cemetery
29. In the Shop