Advertising & Marketing Associate
Academy of American Poets
The Academy of American Poets, the nonprofit organization that produces Poets.org, National Poetry Month, Poem-a-Day and American Poets magazine among other programs, seeks an Advertising & Marketing Associate. This full-time position, which is based in New York City, reports to the executive director and is responsible for outreach to poetry magazines, presses, conferences, programs, and other organizations and businesses to secure digital and print advertising for Poets.org and American Poets magazine, as well as literary sponsors for National Poetry Month. This position also helps develop and implements promotion for the organization and its programs on social and traditional media. The goal of this position is to help other organizations promote their books and programs to the poets and poetry readers who rely on the Academy of American Poets for information; to grow the Academy of American Poets’ community of organizational supporters; and to increase participation in its programs.
- Maintain positive relationships with poetry magazines, presses, conferences, programs, and other organizations and businesses who currently advertise on Poets.org, in newsletters, and in American Poets magazine
- Secure advertising from these organizations and businesses
- Place and maintain advertising via DoubleClick for Publishers
- Research, identify, and solicit prospective new advertisers
- Work with content and program staff to stay at the forefront of new outreach opportunities
- Maintain accurate contact and sales records
- Work with finance director to generate and send invoices, and collect payments
- Provide regular reports and other updates
- Secure literary sponsors for National Poetry Month
- Ensure all sponsors receive their benefits; provide excellent customer service
- Research and participate in outreach to prospective corporate sponsors
- Utilize social media, advertising trades, in-kind and earned media to meet goals
- Help develop and implement creative publicity campaigns to promote the Academy’s events and programs
- Draft, distribute, and follow up on press releases and event listings
- Promote & increase participation in awards and educational programs, and attendance at events
- Coordinate distribution of National Poetry Month poster
- Post regularly to Announcements blog on Poets.org
- Coordinate the Academy’s presence at the annual AWP conference, Brooklyn Book Festival, and other events
- Accommodate press in attendance at all Academy events, including Poetry & the Creative Mind
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent organizational, communication, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Collaborative style and a sense of humor
- 1-2 years ad sales experience; goals driven; passion to educate and sell
- Experience working or volunteering at a nonprofit organization
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Experience with Double Click for Publishers, Content Management Systems, Microsoft Office suite, Google applications, email communication platforms; Salesforce a plus
- Bachelor’s degree
- A passion for poetry; familiarity with the poetry community
The Academy of American Poets does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of religion, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested candidates may email cover letters and resumes to: Jennifer Benka, Executive Director, Academy of American Poets, at email@example.com. No calls please.